Wednesday, September 15, 2021

A Kobold in the 25th Century

 I'm on something of a Gamma World kick, and my next NPC mutant creation will be from the AD&D Monster Manual.  I was flipping through the pages, and thought maybe a Gnoll would be good, but decided on a Kobold.  Why?  I don't know.  Just seemed to be a  good choice.

Then I was wondering how the Kobold arrived in a post apocalyptic, largely irradiated Earth?  Did the Kobold stumble through a Planaar Travel door that suddenly appeared in the cavern?  Maybe a wizards spell gone awry, or a magical portal?  Decisions, decisions....

The hapless Kobold arrives on Earth, in a irradiated area, and he is exposed to radiation.  Would the Kobold survive and possibly be mutated? The monstrous races in the AD&D Monster Manual have no stats like PCs so I decided on a Constitution of 10;  as they are a particularly frail race, having only one to four hit points. 

So this dimensionally displaced Kobold has arrived on Earth, and in a radioactive area.  I randomly roll the intensity of the radiation, and roll a 10.  Referencing the radiation intensity level versus the Kobold's constitution, the result is a D, which means it has an 80% chance of death, and if it survives; it will end up with a defect.   The defect appears a week later.   The chance that the Kobold will get a good mutation are very low. 

After a couple of days of wandering the wastelands the Kobold arrives in another irradiated area with a radiation intensity of 3.  The Kobold takes 4d6 of damage.  The poor Kobold doesn't even live long enough to get the mutational defect.

It could have arrived in a non-irradiated zone, but the point of this exercise was to create a mutant Kobold.  Yes of course I could have just rolled one up, but I like to play "what if...", or more accurately "how did this happen?".  I needed a good backstory. So as I was reading the Kobold description; inspiration hit, and I came up with an idea, which I think is good, but that's for a later post.


No comments:

Post a Comment